Dr. Glen F. Hoffsis
Dean, Associate Vice President of Health Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine
Office Location: Math and Science Building 320D
- MS, Ohio State University, 1965-1969
- DVM, Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, 1962-1966
- Animal Science Studies, Ohio State University, 1959-1962
- Dean, College of Veterinary Medicine University of Florida, 2006- 2013
- Dean, Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, 1995-2004
- Interim Dean, Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, 1993-1995
Previous Professional Experience:
- Consultant, Lincoln Memorial College of Veterinary Medicine, 2013-2014
- Assoc. Director, Veterinary Services at Procter and Gamble, 2004-2006
- Assoc. Director, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, 1995-2004
- Hospital Director, Ohio State University Dept. of Veterinary Hospital, 1991-1993
- Head of Food Animal Medicine and Surgery Section, Ohio State University Dept. of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, 1970-1991
- Professor, Ohio State University Dept. of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, 1979-2013
- Associate Professor, Ohio State University Dept. of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, 1974-1979
- Assistant Professor, Ohio State University Dept. of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, 1970-1974
- Instructor, Ohio State University Dept. of Veterinary Medicine, 1967-1970
- Intern, Colorado State University, 1966-1967
- Research Associate in Pathology, Angell Memorial Animal Hospital, Summer 1964
Honors and Accomplishments
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, 2005
- Hall of Fame, Dept. of Dairy Science, 2005
- Distinguished Service Award, College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences, 2005
- Service Award, Ohio Dept. of Corrections, 2004
- Hall of Fame, Dept. of Animal Sciences, 2003
- Veterinarian of the Year, Ohio Veterinary Medical Association, 2001
- Distinguished Service Award, Ohio Cattlemen’s Association, 2001
- Honorary member, Future Farmers of America, 1999
- National Gamma Award, Omega Tau Sigma Veterinary Fraternity, 1996
- American Cyanamid Award of Excellence, American Association of Bovine Practitioners, 1989
- Coughlin Visiting Professor and Lecturer, University of Tennessee, February 1984
- Norden Award- Distinguished Teacher, 1971
- American Association of Bovine Practitioners, 1972-1999
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 1979-1981
- American Veterinary Medical Association, 1979-2003
- Ohio Veterinary Medical Association, 1972-2004
- United States Animal Health Association. 1979-1989
- American Association of Veterinary Clinicians, 1990-1994
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges, 1993-2014
- AAVMC Industry Advisory Committee, 2004-2006
- Texas A&M CVM Leadership Advisory Committee, 2004-2006
- AAVMC Leadership Committee, 2006-2014
- AAVMC Food Supply Committee, 2007-2014
- Rings DM, St. Jean G, Hoffsis, GF: Perforating Diverticulitis as a sequela to chronic paratuberculosis in a cow. J. Am. Med Assoc., June 1996.
- Hoffsis GF, St. Jean G, and Rings DM: Hypomagnesemia in ruminants. Comp. on Cont. Educ. 11(4):519-527, 1989.
- Rings DM, Welker FH, Hull BL, Kersting KW, and Hoffsis GF: Abomasal emptying defect in Suffolk sheep. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 185(12)1520-1522, December 15, 1984.
- Hoffsis GF, and Welker FW: Therapeutic strategies involving antimicrobial treatment of disseminated infections in food animals. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. (185(10):1214-1216, November 15, 1984.
- Welker FH, Hoffsis GF, Rings DM, Hull BL, and Jacobs RM: Bronchobiliary fistula in a cow. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 185(4):440-441, August 15, 1984.
- Hoffsis GF, Dorn CR, and Bonham JB: A bovine practitioner survey of Johne’s disease. The Bovine Practitioner 18:58-66, November 1983.
- Hoffsis GF, Capen CC, and Norman AW: The use of 1,25,dihydroxycholecalciferol in the prevention of parturient hypocalcemia of dairy cows. Bovine Practitioner (13):88-95, November 1978.
- Capen CC, Hoffsis GF, and Norman AW: Comparative effects of 1,25-(OH)2 Vitamin D and alpha-OH Vitamin D on calcium homeostatic mechanisms in dairy cows. Laboratory Investigation 38:337, 1978.
- Pipers FS, Rings DM, Hull BL, Hoffsis GF, Reef N, and Hamlin RL: echocardiographic diagnosis of endocarditis in a bull. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 172(11):1313-1316, June 1978.
- Hoffsis GF, and Bruner RR: Atresia coli in a twin calf. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 171(5):433-434, September 1977.
- Hoffsis GF, Gingerich DE, Sherman DM, and Bruner RR: Total intravenous feeding of calves. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 171(1):67-70, July 1977.
- Sherman DM, Hoffsis GF, Gingerich DE, and Bruner RR: A technique for long-term fluid administration in the calf. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 169(12):1310-1312, December 1976.
- Hoffsis GF, and Mauer LM: Evaluation of the penis tie-down method for teaser bulls. Bovine Practitioner, 11:78-80, November 1976.
- Johnson HM, Smith BG, Bukovic JA, Hoffsis GF, and Wilson GP: Antibody response and ribonuclease activity in the sera of calves passively immunized to bovine pancreatic ribonuclease. Inter. Arch. Allergy, 1973.
- Loeb WF, McKenzie LD, and Hoffsis GF: The carbohydrate digestive-absorption test in the horse. Technique and normal values. The Cornell Veterinarian, 62(4):524-531, October 1972.
- Hoffsis GF and Murdick PW: The plasma concentrations of corticosteroids in normal and diseased horses. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 157(11):1590-1594, December 1, 1970.
- Hoffsis GF, Murdick PW, Tharp VL, and Ault K: Plasma concentrations of cortisol and corticosterone in normal horse. Am. J. Vet. Res. 31(8):1379-1387, August 1970.